Sunday, December 5, 2010

Recent eBay/Etsy Purchases

I've been browsing potential Christmas presents on eBay and Etsy lately and came across some keepers! My mother is an Episcopal priest and bibliophile. For her, I found this 1867 Protestant Episcopal Book of Common Prayer.

Photobucket

Front cover.

Photobucket

Inscription dated 1880.

Photobucket

Titlepage.

Interestingly, the American Episcopal church originally chose to distinguish themselves as apart from England and therefore Protestant, but, in the mid-1800s, some members called to remove the word "protestant" as the break from the Catholic church had nothing to do with the Protestant Reformation. My mother often likes to point out that we are neither Catholic nor Protestant; we're Anglican. :)

In searching for presents for my dad, I stumbled upon an old postcard from Bribir, a medieval city in Croatia from whence his family hails. In the past, I had never been able to find anything from Bribir online, but at last I have! Bribir is sort of an obscure little village, so it was amazing that I was able to find this.

Photobucket

Dated 1901.

I also purchased a Croatian banknote from 1991, the year Croatia became an independent country after Yugoslavia. I've always been interested in foreign currency, and I thought this one was kind of special.

Photobucket

10 dinara banknote. In 1993, 700,000 dinaras = $1 U.S.

Another purchase I made was an 1886 print from Oliver Goldsmith's A History of the Earth and Animated Nature.  It's in great condition and the colors are vivid. I plan to have it framed for my boyfriend, a duck hunting enthusiast.

Photobucket

In the foreground: Teal, Harlequin, Scaup, and Red Headed Pochard ducks.

Lastly, I found something for me. I have recently become interested in Victorian beetle jewelry, and I've been trying to find an affordable piece for a while. At perhaps the height of Egyptology, Victorians made a number of things out of scarabs, including jewelry. I've seen bracelets, necklaces, hatpins, etc. but none have every fit into my budget. However, I did find this relatively cheap stickpin.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I know it's kind of gross/weird, but I think it's so cool. And they're pretty rare as well, due to brittleness, so I'm lucky that it even exists!

Beetle mania

No comments:

Post a Comment