Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Cullinan Diamond, or Great Star of Africa

Weighing in at 530.4 carats, the Great Star of Africa, as it is referred to, was discovered in 1905 in Cullinan, a town in northeast South Africa, by miners of the Premier Diamond Mining Company. The stone was named after Sir Thomas Cullinan, owner of the mine. Purchased by the South African government, the diamond was then presented to King Edward VII on his birthday. It was later cut by the Asscher Brothers into several smaller gems.

The nine largest pieces after the diamond was cut:




1 comment:


  1. I really enjoyed reading this post, I always appreciate topics like this being discussed to us. Information very nice. I will follow post Thanks for sharinI really enjoyed reading this post, I always appreciate topics like this being discussed to us. Information very nice. I will follow post Thanks for sharing..
    ZombsRoyale.io Crossbow | Wormate io Games | Krunker.io Game 2020

    ReplyDelete