Friday, February 4, 2011

Daguerrotype

I bought a daguerrotype! The frame was in such perfect condition, I had to have it. The hinges, hook and eye, velvet, and gold trim are all intact, which is rare. The man in the picture almost looks as if he has curls that come down over his ears, like the payot (sidecurls) of Hasidic Jewish men... But I think he would have to have had a longer beard and perhaps different dress. I guess he just had some unruly sideburns.

Photobucket

P.S. The daguerrotype was invented by Louis Daguerre and Joseph Nicephore Niepce in 1839. The image is formed with the alloy of mercury and silver. It can be easily smudge or damaged, so they were sealed in cases or frames like this one.

1 comment:

  1. I have one just like it, but don't know anything about it. What year(s) could it be from and what part of the world? Please answer to bgk53@live.se
    Thank you.
    Best regards,
    Bengt K.

    ReplyDelete