Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Princess and the Goblin

When I was a kid, the 1992 film The Princess and the Goblin was one of my favorite movies. I was surprised to find out that it is actually based on a children's novel by George MacDonald. The novel was published in 1872 by by Strahan & Co, and its sequel published in 1883. Critic Jeffrey Holdaway describes both books as initially "normal fairytales" that "slowly become stranger," and they contain layers of symbolism similar to Lewis Carroll's work. George MacDonald was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister who influenced other authors like W.H. Auden, J.R.R. Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, Mark Twain, and Madeleine L'Engle. I've heard of MacDonald before but I had no idea of his work in fantasy and children's literature or that he, a simple minister, impacted so many famous authors.

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I did an Independent Study on MacDonald with Pionke last semester! I focused mostly on Phantastes, but I really like MacDonald too!

    ReplyDelete